December 1, 2016 is a day that could be painful for a lot of employers if they have not been paying attention to what is headed their way with new overtime regulations under Department of Labor’s Fair Labor Standards Act. If employers are not compliant with the new regulations by that date, they may be at risk of serious financial penalties.
The Chamber, in partnership with Ogletree Deakins, recently hosted its first Rules of Business webinar featuring a diverse group of business leaders to discuss how they are addressing the challenges and opportunities posed by the new regulations. This group included:
- Tom Bright, Shareholder, Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.A.
- Tom Dumit, Vice President, Human Resources, Café Enterprises
- Julie Godshall Brown, President, Godshall Professional Recruiting and Staffing
- Chuck Blankenship, Senior Vice President, Human Resources, Bank of Travelers Rest
- Leslie Hayes, President and Organizational Coach, The Hayes Approach
- Charlotte Lyda, HR Director, Cascades Verdae
- Pam Nalley, Regional HR Manager, Belk
- Rachel Putman, Vice President of Human Resources, Goodwill Industries of the Upstate
What came across loud and clear during this discussion is that some employers are using this challenge as an opportunity to audit their positions so they know what is actually required of an incumbent. This allows them to engage with employees in honest conversations about work-life balance and other issues. While there will be a financial impact for almost all firms, many firms are striving to make the most of this “opportunity.”
We are pleased to offer the recordings of the discussion featuring several of our panelists below. There are two recordings – Part 1 features the FLSA Overtime Rule Update with Tom Bright and Part 2 features Tom Bright, Julie Godshall Brown and Leslie Hayes.
FLSA Webinar Presentation PowerPoint Presentation (Download)
If you like this format of delivering information and value to our Investors, please let us know so we can look at providing similar webinars in the future.
Here’s to a prosperous and compliant remainder of 2016!
PART 1 - FLSA Overtime Rule Update with Tom Bright
PART 2 - Tom Bright, Julie Godshall Brown and Leslie Hayes